Sweet Tooth Friday: Anna's Apple Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies
When I was in college, I had a serious weakness for the Sour Cream Walnut Apple Pie made by The Little Pie Company. They came in mini pie tins and I could eat an entire one by myself - hello, freshman fifteen! I wanted to develop a cookie recipe that showcased the strudel topping AND the sour cream flavor because the combination is just heavenly. Here is my spin on combining cookies with the best pies you can get in NYC.
Apple Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies
Makes 18 to 20 cookies
Prep time: Total time:
1 cup, unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
¼ cup grated apple
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cup AP flour
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups rolled oats
½ cup raisins
½ cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
¼ cup mascarpone
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon apple juice or cider
3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- With paddle attachment of mixing bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, grated apple, eggs, coconut, raisins, nuts and oats.
- In a separate, large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt, and spices together.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet mixture and mix until just combined.
- Place on cookie sheet and press down so that they cook flat.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until edges begin to brown. Transfer to rack and allow to cool completely before adding filling.