Five Days of Christmas Cookies (DAY 2): Peanut Butter Crème’wiches
When I’m assembling my cookie tins for Christmas, I like to make a number of different cookies. So, when you open up the tin, there is a little something for everyone. I always include mini chocolate chip cookies, biscotti and tricolors. For a peanut butter lover, I make these peanut butter sandwich cookies from Tom Colicchio’s sandwich chain ‘wichcraft. These taste like the cookies peddled by your local Girl Scout troop but so much better.
When I was working at Martha Stewart Living, the ladies in the test kitchen had a really fun practice of baking cookies every Friday. An editor there made these one day - I was hooked! I asked her for the recipe and she simply directed me to the site. So, thanks Martha for introducing me to Tom.
Peanut Butter Crème’wich Sandwich Cookies - Martha Stewart.com
Prep time: Total time:
1/2 cup plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, divided (1 1/2 sticks)
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
3/4 cup peanut butter
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oats and cook, stirring, u minutes. Spread oat mixture onto prepared baking sheet and let cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In bowl of anelectric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together remaining ½ cup butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add peanut butter and mix until well combined.
- Add oat mixture and flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined. Turn dough out onto a piece of parchment paper. Cover dough with a second piece of parchment paper and roll out dough, between parchment, to 1/4 inch thick. Carefully slide rolled dough onto baking sheet and transfer to refrigerator until chilled, about 20 minutes.
- Remove to layer of parchment paper; cut out cookies using a 2 inch round cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets; sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Transfer baking sheets to oven and bake until golden, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on baking sheets.
- When cookies have cooled completely, snip end of a pastry bag and squeeze peanut butter filling in a spiral motion on bottom side of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies to form sandwiches.