Five Days of Christmas Cookies (DAY 4): Nonna Gina's Biscotti di Cream Cheese
Most of my most cherished Christmas cookie recipes come from my mom. She always made a number of cookies for Christmas so we could give them to our teachers and friends. This cookie was always in high demand so she made them every year. It’s very delicate looking because of the fringed edges, it’s dusted with powdered sugar and filled with a delicious blend of coconut, jam, dates and chocolate chips.
Nonna Gina’s Biscotti di Cream Cheese
Prep time: Total time:
4 cups flour
4 sticks unsalted butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup chocolate chip cookies
8 oz shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup strawberry jam, unseeded
1 cup dates, chopped fine
½ cup confectioners sugar
- In your food processor, using the dough blade, combine flour, butter and cream cheese. A soft dough will form. Place on a floured board and roll out to a ¼ inch thickness.
- Using a knife or fancy pastry cutter, cut out three inch squares in a diamond pattern. Roll out scraps and make more.
- Mix all filling ingredients in a bowl.
- Fill each diamond with 1 teaspoon of filling and fold over two points of dough. Place on a baking sheet and egg wash the folded points so they don’t open up in the oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes when the edges begin to brown.
- Let cool completely and then sprinkle with powdered sugar.