I Left My Heart In San Francisco: Trattoria Contadina’s Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms
Trattoria Contadina is what every Italian restaurant should aspire to be. Family owned for thirty years, passed down to the grandchildren and a dedication to maintaining a high quality dining experience with locally sourced ingredients.
On my eat feast in SF, I had to check out this delicious spot recommended to me by Phil’s cousin Jessica. Located in North Beach, there is a charming sign hanging over the front door that says, ‘Lascia i problemi alla porta. Buon Appetito.’ Which translates, leave your problems at the door, eat and drink well. And boy, did we.
The pastas are fresh and delicious and the Veal Saltimbocca melted in my mouth. However, the true stand out for me, was a special that night, the Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms. Zucchini flowers stuffed with a delicious ricotta filling and then lightly battered and fried. They were crunchy on the outside and cheesy on the inside. I also loved how the delicate flower held up to the flavor that came pouring out of the middle.
Luckily, my mother grows zucchini in her garden and supplies me with a steady supply of blossoms. So, as soon as I got home, I got to work on recreating this simple but delicious dish.
Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms
Prep time: Total time:
10 to 12 zucchini blossoms with stem intact, pistol removed
1 cup self rising flour
¼ cup water
¼ cup grated parmigiano cheese
1 cup fresh ricotta
1 egg, beaten
¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 to 3 cups Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients for filling and place in the fridge for ½ hour to firm up
- Open each blossom and fill with cheese. Twist top of the flower to hold shut.
- In a large drinking glass, add flour and water and whisk to the consistency of pancake batter.
- Heat oil in pot to 350 degrees.
- Dip each blossom in flour mixture, carefully to coat. Then immediately drop slowly into the oil. Gingerly flip for three to four minutes until outside is crisp and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.