Nutty Chocolate Matzo Brittle
Candy for Passover! Matzo covered in caramel, chocolate, and nuts makes for a delicious treat. Make it your own with all your favorite toppings.
Prep time : Total time:
1 cup hazelnuts
5 sheets of matzo
1 cup unsalted butter or, for a parve dessert, margarine
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
10 ounces dark chocolate chips
3 tablespoons Nutella (optional; not kosher for Passover)
1 teaspoon Maldon salt
- While hazelnuts are toasting, prepare the matzo. Place parchment paper on a 9- by 13-inch baking sheet, making sure there is excess is hanging from both sides. Lay sheets of matzo on the sheet to form a single layer. Carefully break matzo in half if needed. Set aside.
- When hazelnuts are done, remove any skins and coarsely chop.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter with brown sugar over medium heat. Once melted, stir until mixture begins to boil. Continue stirring for 3 to 5 minutes, until caramel begins to get golden brown.
- Once caramel is golden brown, remove from heat and carefully pour over matzo. Tilt the pan to fully cover the matzo. Place in the top third of the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips. Drop spoonfuls of Nutella over the chocolate and use a knife or offset spatula to spread both out to cover the caramel.
- Sprinkle with nuts and salt and place in the freezer for 15 minutes. This will set the chocolate and make the brittle easy to cut.
- Remove from the freezer and lift the brittle by the excess parchment paper. Cut or break into different shapes and sizes.