Sweet Tooth Friday: Chocolate Cherry Muffins
Kids love muffins. Why? Because let’s face it, muffins are just cupcakes without the frosting. Recently on a trip to the grocery store, my daughter begged for a chocolate chip muffin when we passed the glass doors of the bakery case. I was feeling generous that particular day so I grabbed a few and placed them in the cart.
She quickly plucked it out of the bag and happily munched away as we strolled through the aisles. She didn’t complain or argue with her siblings, she just filled her belly with buttery, chocolaty muffin. I decided this Friday needed to be dedicated to this glorious muffin. I developed a recipe that has all the bakery goodness and some dried cherries too just to make them interesting. I think the recipe I came up with is pretty delicious. And, if it can keep your child well behaved and obedient on the weekly grocery store run, they might just be full of magic powers.
Veronica’s Chocolate Cherry Muffins
Prep time: Total time:
2 ½ cups AP Flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
6 oz chopped dried cherries, chopped up
½ cup chocolate chunks
½ cup turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt. In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine butter, sugar, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add flour mixer to wet ingredients until just combined. Add chocolate chips and cherries and mix until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, fill 12 muffin liners to the top. Sprinkle batter with sugar and then stick four to five chocolate chunks into the top.
- Bake the muffins for 15 minutes at 450 degrees and then drop oven temperature to 350 degrees for an additional ten to twelve minutes. The muffins will puff up and have loads of chocolate goodness on top.