Sweet Tooth Friday: Ginger-Snappers
I’m going to keep this short and SWEET - crazy busy week but wanted to get you a little goodie before the weekend!
My daughter wanted to make gingersnaps and I found this amazing recipe in one of my favorite baking cookbooks. Tastes just like Nabisco Gingersnaps, but these are so much better because:
1. They are homemade goodness
2. They have lemon zest in them. Lemon zest is a secret weapon you MUST have in your cooking arsenal.
Thanks to my lil’ sister who wrangled all three kids into the kitchen and made these delish cookies with them. They had fun and I got a blog post out of it. Win, win.
Rosie’s Bakery Baking Book Ginger-Snappers
Makes 26 cookies
Prep time: Total time:
2 ½ cups AP Flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temp
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
¼ cup molasses
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
¼ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment or silpat.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger together into a small bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar in a medium-size mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Stop the mixer twice to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the egg to the butter mixture and beat on medium until blended, about 10 seconds. Scrape the bowl.
- Add the molasses and lemon zest and beat on medium unitl blended, 10 seconds
- Fold in half the dry ingredients by hand using several broad strokes of the spatula, then fold in the remaining half. Mix on low speed until blended, about 20 seconds.
- Measure out rounded tablespoons of the dough and roll them into balls with your hands. Roll the balls in the sugar and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Bake until edges are lightly golden and the center is puffy, about 12 minutes. Do not overbake or they will become hard.
- Remove cookies carefully from the sheet and let them cool on a rack.