Sunday Brunch: Ya Wanna Go Dutch, Baby?
So, I’m a big fan of Sunday Brunch. You don’t have to get up early, you don’t have to order eggs and really, it should be the start of an incredibly lazy and relaxing day. My kids love bagels and cream cheese on Saturday morning so on Sunday, I try to go big with a few main dishes, home fries, bacon and fresh fruit.
Recently, on a rare trip out for brunch, we ordered a Dutch Baby. I had never had one before but man, was it good. It’s really just a huge pancake covered in fruit, jam, syrup, confectioners sugar, or really, anything you want to put on this puffed batter of deliciousness. We gobbled it down and decided we needed to make this at home.
It’s a great brunch option because its one huge pancake that cooks in the oven. You don’t have to worry about standing in front of the stove flipping while trying to juggle the bacon, toast and coffee brewing.
Instead, you whirl up the batter in your blender, pour it into a hot cast iron skillet and cook it in a hot oven while you take care of the rest of breakfast. You will be a 'Breakfast Champion'! So this weekend, go Dutch!
Dutch Baby with Orange Strawberry Topping
Prep time: Total time:
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract or ½ vanilla bean, scraped
3 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
zest of 1 orange, divided
pinch of salt
½ stick butter + 1 tablespoon butter, melted
8 ounces organic strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven with 1 tablespoon of butter in it, while the oven preheats.
- In a blender, combine sugar, vanilla, eggs, milk, flour, cinnamon, zest from ½ the orange, salt and ½ stick of melted butter. Mix on high until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Once oven is preheated, carefully remove skillet and pour batter in. Place in the oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. As soon as middle is puffed and edges are brown, remove.
- While in oven, make the topping. In a small bowl, mix zest from ½ the orange, sugar, and strawberries.
- Once Dutch Baby is out of the oven, it will immediately fall. Add berries, confectioners sugar and syrup. Serve.